So I’ve been in Tokyo several days now, shopping like a demon (and eating like one too!) It’s about time I give a little rundown…both about where I’ve shopped, and things I’ve noticed.
Saturday – was really about sleeping after getting none on the plane. So, I kept close, getting as far as the Shinjuku Subnade, Topshop and Studio Alta.
Sunday – Lumine Est, and after a brief stop at Isetan, finally made it to Marui One to check out the gothic, lolita & punk stores. Yes, bought shoes, both at Yosuke USA and Black Peace Now, natch.
Monday - Hit the new Azul/R&E/Moussy store in Shinjuku, then Takashimaya – Issey Miyake for colourful threads, Tokyo Hands for novelty items
Tuesday – went to Shibuya. Visited Fake Tokyo (Candy/Sister), as well as 109 of course! BIG MONEY SPENT!! I admit I also visited Zara and Forever 21. Will have to save Grimoire and Grimoire Almadel for another day. Admittedly, I’ve spent more time in gal stores than other ones.
Things I’ve Seen Everywhere that I Like/Love
- Skulls (still!)
- Spikes on everything, including shoes, booties, even platform sneakers
- Sequins & metallic fabrics
- Maxi skirts, esp pleated, or in netting fabric like a long tutu
- Jumpers that have big holes/distressed look
- Platform shoes & booties
- Over-the-knee boots
- Fake fur hats/jackets/stoles/bags etc
- Big floppy felt hats
- Orange & coral
- Statement jewellery, big rings, punk studded cuffs etc
- and on the gyaru girls themselves, big lashes and circle lenses same as always
Things I’ve Seen Everywhere that I Hate:
- Ugg boots (not just in stores, but worn OUTSIDE by girls – sheesh!)
- Bland pastel pink and beige colours
- Baggy, oversized knits (maybe not hate…but they don’t seem flattering to me, and while I like stripes, the horizontal ones I see everywhere are a no-go for fatties like me)
And if I hear another bloody Gaga song in a store I’m gonna SCREAM!! Kinda wishin she was born some other way…
I’m still coming to terms with the amount of retro I’m seeing…all those demure peter pan, lace & beaded collars, preppy looks, fake string pearls, daggy knits and dowdy aunt type gear generally. I’m on the fence about all the shawls and ponchos..they remind me of the 70′s and seem a little daggy, but I can appreciate they’re new for under 30′s. The crosses on necklaces are still around, which I’m kinda over too.
Seeing less of:
- Gyaru girls in big glasses
- Aztec & tribal print
- Wide palazzo pants (as in, maybe none? Obviously it was just a summer thing)
So this isn’t text-only, here’s me about to head out, in long black netting skirt (can’t remember the store, somewhere in Studio Alta), black Cryx top with little silver studs, striped shoes from gothic brand Black Peace Now, striped jacket from Cue and striped bag from Serenade, Beverly Hills.
Yup, I really oughta check my hair before taking pics…so messy! The little bit of printed tight you can see is an original design from Sister.
More pics to come with other purchases..now that I have a hotel room that actually has a window and sunlight!