I decided I wanted to try a Dolly Kei outfit (or 2) based on the skirt I bought in Grimoire recently.
I constantly marvel at how Hitomi, Kaori, Heri etc, seem to effortlessly build their layered outfits to such great effect. At fashion events I’ve attended, you can easily see other Dolly Kei girls too – there really is a recognisable style. But being able to recognise it, is way easier than being able to duplicate it. Here goes….
Here’s how I got the look, step-by-step:
1. I put on the skirt (in black with pinks & mustard tones), and paired it with a Perri Cutten blouse in a central asian paisley print.
2. Then I added a gold fabric wrap belt, embellished with beads and sequins, as well as a camel coloured fur gilet.
3. Next I added a light scarf in paisley (again) in similar tones, as well as gold fringing.
4. Then I placed the all-important tassels around my neck, along with a beetle encased in resin as a necklace.
Some more detail shots – such colours, pattern, textures!!
5. Not having any floral tights, I merely added flesh coloured fishnets, and orange shoes to pick up on the warm tones.
As a finishing touch, I wore the floral brooch/headpiece I also bought at Grimoire. I tried on my dark blood-red coloured velvet cape from Virgin Mary, but think it may be a bit dark – what do you think?
I then tried on a grey-flecked fake fur throw around my shoulders:
I wanted to try something I could wear in the warmer months, with some layering but still cool, so put on a sleeveless chiffon paisley print tank top in reds & oranges, and took off the fur:
And of course I had to have gyaru/dolly lashes and make-up (like the orange Lime Crime lipstick, also used as blusher), as well as my fave G&G BT circle lenses in aqua.
There are a few typical DK items I missed in my outfit – can you pick what they are? What would you have added to this outfit – or taken away?